Simplicity & Sustainability Adventure Sail
Dear Ocean Loving Friends, This summer I’ll be exploring the Balearic islands by sail and I’ll be welcoming a selective few on board my current nomad home to share the love for the ocean, simple and healthy living, exploring, making this world a better place and just being.
Sail, Explore, Adventure, Simplicity, Fun, Action, Slow, Healthy, Vegetarian, SUP, Snorkel & Freedive, Eco, Chill, Connect, Community, Local.
Update: Maximum capacity to host you has been reached. I’ll be renting one or more boats later this season to be able to facilitate more ocean adventure and connection between all these beautiful souls. Check out two adventure sailing trips in September here. The Balearics We will set sail from the north of Mallorca. It’s the quieter and natural part of the island and a great base to explore the cala’s of the Tramontano, head for Menorca, or head East to explore the calas of Eastern Mallorca. If all crew is up for longer passages we could even make it to Ibiza and back. We let the itinerary depend of the wind and wishes Because of the Posidonia, the water is crystal clear and makes us feel like we’re in the Caribbean. The Tramontano are as stunning as the Pyrenees and allow or epic hikes and bicycle rides. Lots to explore in the gastronomic department as well with many local and unique products to the islands. I’m impressed and looking forward to exploring more of the islands with you!
About the Experience This is a multi-adventure lifestyle trip where the adventure and sustainability mindset is core. We work on board as a team. We share the tasks, operation and sailing of the boat. This trip is run adventure style with no fixed itinerary. Depending on the weather and what we want we go north / west / south or east. We go with the flow and wind. No plan. No itinerary and a great mix of souls from all over the world. Per day we decide where we go and we adjust the plans along the way depending on what we discover. This is a liveaboard boat and not the typical charter boat. The boat is old and therefore much stronger than the modern plastic boats. She has soul and simply works. We’ll have to deal with using way less access to fresh water and power as we have comformed with on our land-based lives. And it’s quite easily fine but it requires some shift in priorities and thinking. I’d love to hear your thoughts, ideas, and knowledge on no fridge food preservation, simplification, the environmental, eco-friendly sailboat maintainance, and what else we can do to reduce our consumption and footprint. Simplifying our lives is one of the most difficult but rewarding things for peace of mind and environmental conservation!
The Ocean Nomads philosophy
We share and care for the Ocean Nomads ‘slow sailing’ philosophy. The focus is on simplicity, health, local food and community connection, active, adventure and sustainability mindset, walking the talk, and collaboration. Ocean Nomads is a tribe of young (by heart:)) adventurous ocean lovers that are after an active sailing outdoor lifestyle. It’s for sharing fun, ideas & projects on low-budget, mindful, self-sufficient positive impact ways to live and travel sustainably at sea. It’s for the adventure spirits wishing to experience more of the world with sea travel, live simply, sporty, healthy, and after making a positive impact in the world that we call our playground. I’m looking for a crew team with the same mentality and mindset but a variety of backgrounds and nationalities. A mix of active travelers, nomads, change-makers, eco-warriors, and free-spirits has proven to be a collaborative, fun, enriching, and exciting adventure crew team. What to expect?
- The theme of this trip is simplicity, adventure and sustainability. We’ll be sharing adventure time, relax time, as well as thoughts, tips and ideas how we can live more simply and sustainable and explore the world by sail. You don’t need to be a world changer to join this trip. We can learn from each other.
- You understand this trip is rolled quite a spontaneous style. On purpose. With purpose. The beauty of sailing is not knowing what you will encounter and experience in the day. It also depends on the wind and everyone’s wishes which direction and action we will take in the day. There won’t be a fixed itinerary or place where we will definitely go. Also, there may be a day or two without sailing anywhere but just simply being in nature.
- This is not a party experience. Sure, an afternoon sunset wine is ok but we’re not hopping from party bay to party bay to loose our time and healthy being intoxicated.
- We share the tasks on board. We provision, cook, sail, fix things if necessary together as a team. We share costs for fuel, marinas and food and drinks. On my lasts trips in Croatia and Sicily and Lanzarote this was between 90 – 130 euro’s per person per week for all of this.
- For some, these kind of trips are usually out of reach because of the costs involved. For some budget is not really an issue. What we all want is experience and do good. There is no philanthropist or rich boat owner involved. To be able to make this project happen, a daily contribution is needed which goes towards maintenance, rent, spares and the organization of this all. I’m looking for a balanced mix so I can provide the opportunities, run the boat, and to keep the community spirit and sustainability mindset. I have written lots on boat hitchhiking budget style if you’re looking for a longer experience.
- You’re OK with eating vegetarian style on board. For the reason it’s more environmentally friendly, it’s healthy, and it’s much easier on a boat. We’re dealing with limited resources of energy and water. Of course, there is the land if you want something else.
- It’s ok if you have no sailing experience. I’m happy to teach what know. A trip like this is perfect to figure out if this is for you. Also happy to help level up your skills or help to prepare you for your Day Skipper or Yachtmaster. Lots of fun exercises we can do. There’s quite some manual work to do as well. Sometimes we’re lifting the anchor manually and row to shore instead of using engines and scarce energy. Simple and active :)
- And of course I’m happy to share stories and what I’ve learned in those 25.000 miles of boat hitchhiking and exploring the (high) seas, doing the Yachtmaster, hitch sailing the Caribbean and how it works. I’m looking forward to hearing your stories too!
- We’ll create opportunities for freediving if there’s interest. Mallorca has some of the best freedive settings of Europe. I’m a freedive instructor and am happy to teach the basics.
- We’ll speak English on board. I also speak Spanish and Dutch may you be struggling with English.
- This is not an official charter boat or charter trip. I invite you to come sailing with me as a friend and in my home. It makes it more casual, cheaper, genuine, and environmentally friendly than the average sailing trip. We’ll be maximum 5 on board (including me) for enough space and comfort for everyone.
- Your life will never be the same again!
Hello! My name is Suzanne. Having no idea about sailing a few years ago I boathitchhiked +25.000 nautical miles across oceans and seas to learn as much as I can. in 2018, I got my YachtMaster Offshore license so I can take you sailing and share what the magic is all about. What excites me the most and what I believe can truly contribute to making the ocean healthier, is to share with others how beautiful the sailing lifestyle is, to see the big smiling faces, to share how beautiful the sea is, how valuable water and power is, what easy solutions we can implement to minimise our footprint and maximise our impact, and what happens when you put some a combo of happy / driven / curious / different nationality people together in a small boat. So many beautiful stories, moments and mini adventures to share. This season I decided to take a boat for a longer period of time. To really make it home, experience liveaboard sailing and learn all that comes with it, and to be able to provide more opportunities to connect others to the ocean ( and myself), and to create ocean action and conservation content. I still have lots to learn but I’m confident enough to take you sailing, safe and meaningful.
About the Boat
She’s a Jeanneau 41 ft from 86. She’s basic, has soul and has been owned by 3 different families over the last 30 years using her as a home. She has a strong Main and headsail and numerous other sails we could put up if the conditions allow. There’s an easy access swimming platform at the back. The saloon is cosy. The kitchen has 2 stoves and oven to make delicious things. She has 2 cabins (2 x 2 persons), each cabin has its private bathroom and toilet, and two comfi sofas. She has one solar panel which provides us energy for charging our phones and navigation instruments but that’s more or less it. We don’t use the fridge and we don’t need it either. We will hardly use the instruments (except for depth) and predominantly use our sense to feel the wind and adjust to the wind. We have a dinghy and also I got a SUP board. When? Trip dates Instead of the usual 1-week sailing, I’ve made it 10 days so we can connect to the sea and each other on a deeper level. 24 May – June 2 | 10 days (Done – Read what the crew said) 28 June – July 7 | 10 days (Full) 16 August – 25 | 10 days (Full) 13 September – 22 September | 10 days (Full) September | I’m considering renting a few boats. Fill out the form below to express interest. Are you a group of 3-5 people and would like to exclusively be on the boat? And/or rather come sailing shorter or other dates? There is some room for flexibility. Contact me for the options. Are you interested to help preparing / repairing / maintaining the boat? And stay a little longer before or after the trip? Let me know and we can work something out! Contibrution Daily contribution + shared costs for food / fuel & mooring. Exceptions for the ultra-determined but who really can’t afford a daily contribution but have some skills to contribute. Above all, I’d like to make it accessible. I facilitate:
- The boat, organization & captaining
- 10 days of adventure 9 nights of accommodation
- Sailing/ sustainability/ freediving lifestyle – how to’s, stories, tips, hacks.
- Basic sailing instructions
- 1 Year Ocean Nomads Community Membership connecting you to other like-minded adventurous ecopirates.
- Mooring for the first and last night.
- Wind & Sunshine :)
What to bear in mind for shared costs?
- Food and drinks (5-10 euros/day)
- Fuel, water, mooring /marina fees (5-10 euros/day)
- Flights (Check Vueling who has flights 12 – 60 euro’s from many EU destinations to Mallorca)
- Personal travel insurance (I recommend TopSail Sailing Insurance)
- Local transport on the island (including transport to/from the boat)
- Sheets & towels and if you have a sleeping bag.
- And here’s a recommended packing list
What others say about previous trips:
“What to say about Suzanne? You have to meet her in person, but she is everything you would expect after you look at her Instagram. She has a deep love for the sea and she is helping others to experience the same. It was an amazing experience to sail with her. She constantly inspired us to explore, to test things out and enjoy her little surprises along the way. I highly recommend to sail with her and was always feeling safe with her at the helm.” – Matthias Zeitler Sicily Pirates Expedition 2019
“With outstanding determination and strength, she lives and acts very consistently according to her values grounded in environmental protection, sustainability-oriented solutions and network creation between likeminded people working in similar fields of action. In my opinion, sailing adventures organized by Captain Suzanne are: 1. A reward for the senses by discovering incredibly beautiful places and breathtaking sceneries. 2. An unbeatable way to get introduced into the nice world of sailing, 3. An open window to learn watching our world and the people from another more conscious perspective. I see her as an inspirational person who, with her example, inspire others with ideas and proposals to define or redefine life projects and use inner energy for more noble purposes.” Jose Maria Perez – Sailing Sicily Adventure 2018
“Suzanne is extremely knowledgable and experienced in all things sailing the Med and Caribbean. She lives her passion to save the ocean every day. I know this because I sailed with her and lived with her in a house recently where she demonstrated what it means to live a truly sustainable lifestyle that has positive effects toward cleaning up our ocean. Her generosity and enthusiasm is infectious as she provides me with the best advice for helping me during my sailing journey. I will be forever grateful to have met and learned with this amazing human. – Annah McMillan – Sailing Sicily Adventure 2018 More Reviews on Facebook.